Is there any way to be certain that God is hearing your hearts cries? Any way to know for sure He is listening? The answer is yes! The Bible actually provides us with 4 simple steps to follow that will guarantee God’s ear. So you want to be heard? Here’s how:
Step 1: Be humble
- humble- not proud, haughty, arrogant, or assertive; not thinking of yourself as better than others; reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission; not costly or luxurious
For a lesson in humility, look no further than Jesus. In the book of John, chapter 13, we find Jesus showing us the perfect example- the Son of God humbled himself to serve each of His disciples by washing their feet.
Step 2: Pray
- pray- to make a request in a humble manner; to address God with adoration, confession, supplication, or thanksgiving
It’s important to have a prayer life. In Matthew 6:5-18, Jesus teaches us the to do’s and not to do’s of prayer and supplies us with a model prayer, telling us to pray in that manner.
Step 3: Be a seeker
- seek- to search for or go in search of; to try to find; to try to discover; to try to acquire or gain; to ask for or request; to make an attempt
God longs for us to seek His face. Many times our prayer life consists of maybe 10% of thankfulness (if that), and 90% of asking. We rarely set aside time for seeking, although the Bible clearly tells us in numerous places that we are to seek!
Step 4: Turn away from wickedness
- turn- to cause your body/a part of your body/something to face an opposite or different direction
- wicked- morally bad; having or showing slightly bad thoughts in a way that is funny or not serious; very bad or unpleasant
Isaiah 55:7 encourages the wicked to forsake his way. God cannot hear us if we refuse to turn away from that which is wicked and not of or like God.
These 4 steps are so simple that if there is anything blocking us from heaven, it’s because we’re making it too hard. How do I know that these 4 steps will guarantee God’s ear?
“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”- 2 Chronicles 7:14
2 Chronicles 7:14 tells us step by step what our part is and when we do our part, we find an amazing promise of results. Not only will God hear us, but He will also forgive and heal!
So you want to be heard? Yes. It’s really that simple.
*All definitions taken from the Merriam-Webster dictionary app.