Why I’ve Decided To Register for “Hello Mornings”
Remember back a few months ago? I posted about how I was going to start waking up early before the family to get our routine to run a little smoother?
It was great. I was doing it. Some days REALLY early, and some days just a half hour before the first child joyfully greeted me for the day.
Then Summer hit. Hard.
With Summer comes change for almost all families, but for ours, everything is completely different. My two older children are here from out of state, we only do unschooling, and we are very relaxed. Nothing bad, it’s just quite a bit different than what we are used to during the school year. (Like that’s a routine that isn’t challenged and in need of reinventing? HA! 😉 )
Added into the equation this Summer was a series of events:
- We had a housewarming party, at which time my husband and I renewed our vows. It was wonderful, fun, and we were surrounded by those we love. But it took a lot of planning and threw things off for a few days before.
- Two days after our housewarming/vow renewal, I had a hysterectomy. I spent one night in the hospital, my body wouldn’t react to pain meds well, and it took a lot more out of me than I anticipated.
- I did too much too fast after my surgery, trying to soak in and enjoy every single second with my kids while they were all under one roof. This involved my Mom and I taking the oldest 3 to Disney’s California Adventure 10 days after my surgery. Not my smartest move, but I survived and it was worth it.
- My Mom had major surgery. A portion of her colon/intestine had to be removed as she had colon cancer. Praise the Lord, she is fine today. No chemo/radiation is needed. But it threw off the routine even more, if that was possible. I’m just so glad she is healthy and ALIVE!
- Of all the times of year that you assume your family would come down with the flu, it’s probably not at the peak of Summer. Well, murphy’s law, folks. Our family got the flu. It’s been two weeks and it’s still hanging on by a thread.
- I haven’t been able to pick up the kids, clean the house, cook, bake, etc for the last 5 weeks. I’m starting to ease back into it, but when you haven’t done something in awhile, jumping in head first is probably a recipe for a nervous breakdown.
- The older two children returned home. Instead of our family jumping back to our “school year norm”, we kind of go through a funk for a few weeks. The 3 that live with us are confused and miss their older siblings. Mommy and Daddy are sad and wish they had more time with all of their kids. And the older kids call back saying the miss us, but are having a good time. Just a good ol’ fashioned mourning period. We do it after ever visit with them. We get over it, and we get by. I mean, we don’t lock our family in the house, close all the curtains, and cut off from the world. We’re not in a severe dramatic depression. We’re just sad that our babies are gone. That’s all.
In the midst of all of this going on, the brief moments that I have had a chance to check twitter I’ve seen my friend Larri from Seams Inspired tweeting about Hello Mornings, and how great it was. Some days it intrigued me. One day, I’ll be honest and tell you that I thought “Cheery Perky Morning People!!!” Other days I found myself craving it. Time with the Lord, to plan, and make my day right before it even begins? Definitely what I need.
My Grandma did this as I was growing up. The exact routine. Me, being young, I couldn’t understand why she would give up the luxury of precious sleep to sit in a quiet house before anyone was awake just to read her Bible and make lists. And not even while still sitting in bed. She’d sit at the kitchen table. That’s not cozy! I was baffled. I mean, seriously, couldn’t she do that in the afternoon while I was playing outside or practicing piano?
Clearly, I get it now. And it’s needed in my life. Desperately. Things are so far off kilter I don’t even know where exactly to begin. But I have an opportunity to start from scratch. So here, this time, I’m going to start back the right way. With God first before anything else, alone with Him every morning. Before anyone wakes up, before the day begins. The only thing I’ll do before I sit down with my Bible is… make a delicious cup of coffee.
Have you ever had to change up your morning routine? Or had a season that was a bit more chaotic than you thought it would be? How did it work out for you? Are you registered for Hello Mornings? Let me know if you’ve been there, going through it, or starting out just like me…